Canvas Online Support
Canvas online technical support is available 24/7 to all users.
- Call the 24/7 Canvas Support Hotline: Student Hotline 1-844-592-2200. Faculty Hotline: 1-833-291-3233
- Use the Report a Problem link in the Canvas Help menu to Chat with a representative or submit a support ticket.
- Canvas Guides: Search the Canvas Student Guide for step-by-step instructions, videos, and more!
For more information or to schedule an individual appointment for personalized assistance please submit a ticket via the COM Service Desk with a category of “Online Learning Support.”
MyCOM Portal Support
Online Learning Services and Resources
Canvas Student Support Hub
In addition to technical support, COM provides many support services and programs to meet your online learning needs. You can access many of the services listed on this page directly in the Canvas Student Suppport Hub (MyCOM login required).
Online learning students should contact the COM bookstore for assistance with course materials and book orders. Books are available for rent or sale, and eTextbooks are digital and downloadable. There are numerous shipping and delivery options available to students.
A counselor can provide guidance to online learning students, by helping them assess their suitability for online learning and connecting them to student support services.
The College of Marin Library offers thousands of online resources available 24/7. In addition, both Kentfield and Indian Valley campuses have libraries offering thousands of resources, including books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers, journals, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks, and more. College of Marin Library is part of MARINet, the library system for Marin County, so students can pick up and drop off these and other items at any library in Marin County using a public library card or a College of Marin library card. College of Marin Library offers quiet spaces to study individually and in groups, plus plenty of computers, printers, and copiers. Librarians are available to help with your research face-to-face, by telephone and online.
Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
SAS at College of Marin provides equal access to education to students with a wide range of permanent and temporary disabilities including learning disabilities, chronic health conditions, psychological disabilities, acquired brain injuries as well as mobility, vision, and hearing impairments.
- Ask NetTutor: Connect to a live tutor for immediate assistance.
- NetTutor Q&A Center: Drop off a question and receive feedback from a tutor.
NetTutor Paper Center: Submit your paper, lab report, or technical writing for review.
To access NetTutor, log into your online course and click the NetTutor link located on the main course navigation menu.
Online Writing Center (OWC)/Reading and Writing Lab (RWL)
Free online writing tutoring is available to all currently enrolled COM students through the Reading and Writing Lab (RWL) and the Online Writing Center (OWC). Writers may work with instructors and professional tutors in a one-on-one tutoring session at any point in the reading and writing process. Students can receive help with:
- Reading and writing assignments for all college subjects
- Brainstorming, essay and paragraph organization, idea development, research, and grammar
- Developing critical thinking skills
- College entrance essays, UC/CSU applications
- Scholarship applications
- Resumes and cover letters
You can choose three ways of working with a tutor:
- Online Writing Center (submit your work and receive a written response from a tutor)
- RWL - Zoom appointment with a tutor or English instructor
- RWL - In-person appointment on the Kentfield campus (in building PV 4). Note: Masks must be worn inside all college buildings.
You can find all guidelines for making an RWL appointment and joining a tutoring session by Zoom on the RWL/OWC Canvas page. To access this page, click on the Student Support icon, click the Reading/Writing Lab & OWC link, and follow the instructions to enroll.
RWL Zoom and In-Person Appointments Available
In-person RWL appointments are located in PV 4, Kentfield Campus
Students in any class at College of Marin can schedule an online, real-time tutoring appointment with an instructor from the Reading and Writing Lab. Each appointment is 20 minutes long.
To schedule an in-person or Zoom RWL appointment:
- Login to MyCOM and click on "Reading and Writing Lab (RWL)."
- Click on “Make Appointment.” Select the date and times that work for you and click on “Find Appointments.”
- Select a day and time for an “Online Zoom appointment” or an “In-person appointment-Kentfield campus.”
- On the next page, confirm your e-mail address. Click “Continue.”
- Once scheduled, you and the instructor will receive a confirmation email (if you scheduled a Zoom meeting, the email will include the link to the Zoom meeting).
- At the time of the appointment, arrive at PV4 on the Kentfield campus OR join the online meeting via the Zoom link. (If you are meeting on Zoom, the instructor may ask you to share your rough draft through Zoom or e-mail your rough draft.)
- Please cancel the appointment if you are unable to attend.
Online Writing Center
The Online Writing Center (OWC) is open seven days a week for students to submit their work and is staffed with experienced COM tutors who help students with their questions. The site includes helpful grammar and composition links, as well as instructional materials about all aspects of the writing process. To access the RWL/OWC homepage in Canvas, please follow these instructions:
- Log into Canvas
- Click the Student Support icon located on the main navigation menu
- Click the Reading/Writing Lab & OWC link
- Click the Enroll in RWL/OWC link
- Click the Enroll in Course button
- You will now have the RWL/OWC course in Canvas on your dashboard
Then, follow these steps to request online tutoring assistance:
- Click on OWC Tutoring Request.
- Review our OWC Tutoring Student Guidelines.
- Click on the Submit OWC Tutoring Request link. You will be directed to a form to complete your request on the College of Marin website (Note: You may be required to re-enter your MyCOM login information)
- Complete all required components of the form.
- If submitting a paper, upload a Word document at the end of the form.
Beth Sheofsky, RWL/OWC Coordinator
(415) 457-8811 ext. 7609
Tutoring and Learning Support On-Campus
Tutoring and Learning Center
The Tutoring and Learning Center (TLC) at College of Marin offers free peer tutoring for currently enrolled students in a variety of subjects including biology, business, chemistry, foreign languages, medical assisting, math, and more! All tutors are faculty-recommended and have completed a course in tutor training.
There are several computer labs on Kentfield Campus and Indian Valley Campus for COM students to work on your academics, study, research, and write papers. Use this guide to find your way around the computer labs and Tutoring and Learning Center on campus.