Canvas Online Support
Canvas online technical support is available 24/7 to all users.
- Call the 24/7 Canvas Support Hotline: Student Hotline 1-844-592-2200. Faculty Hotline: 1-833-291-3233
- Chat with Canvas Support by clicking the Tech Help link in Canvas
- Search the Canvas Student Guide for step-by-step instructions, videos, and more!
For more information or to schedule an individual appointment for personalized assistance please submit a ticket via the COM Service Desk with a category of “Online Learning Support.”
MyCOM Portal Support
Online Learning Services and Resources
Canvas Student Support Hub
In addition to technical support, COM provides many support services and programs to meet your online learning needs. You can access many of the services listed on this page directly in the Canvas Student Suppport Hub (MyCOM login required).
Online learning students should contact the COM bookstore for assistance with course materials and book orders. Books are available for rent or sale, and eTextbooks are digital and downloadable. There are numerous shipping and delivery options available to students.
A counselor can provide guidance to online learning students, by helping them assess their suitability for online learning and connecting them to student support services.
The College of Marin Library offers thousands of online resources available 24/7. In addition, both Kentfield and Indian Valley campuses have libraries offering thousands of resources, including books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers, journals, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks, and more. College of Marin Library is part of MARINet, the library system for Marin County, so students can pick up and drop off these and other items at any library in Marin County using a public library card or a College of Marin library card. College of Marin Library offers quiet spaces to study individually and in groups, plus plenty of computers, printers, and copiers. Librarians are available to help with your research face-to-face, by telephone and online.
Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
SAS at College of Marin provides equal access to education to students with a wide range of permanent and temporary disabilities including learning disabilities, chronic health conditions, psychological disabilities, acquired brain injuries as well as mobility, vision, and hearing impairments.
- Ask NetTutor: Connect to a live tutor for immediate assistance.
- NetTutor Q&A Center: Drop off a question and receive feedback from a tutor.
NetTutor Paper Center: Submit your paper, lab report, or technical writing for review.
To access NetTutor, log into your online course and click the NetTutor link located on the main course navigation menu.
Online Writing Center (OWC) and Reading and Writing Lab (RWL)
College of Marin offers online and on-campus tutoring spaces for reading and writing in any subject in the Reading and Writing Lab (RWL) and the Online Writing Center (OWC). Students can get help from COM English instructors and professional tutors with:
- Understanding assignments and readings
- Writing assignments for all college subjects
- Brainstorming, essay and paragraph organization, idea development, research, and grammar
- College entrance essays, UC/CSU applications
- Scholarship applications
- Resumes and cover letters
You can choose one of three ways of working with a tutor (or try all three!):
- RWL – Drop in to work with an English instructor or tutor – No appointment necessary!
- Kentfield Campus, Building PV4: 8 am — 5 pm
- Indian Valley Campus, Building 7, Room 103: Thursdays 12:15 pm — 1:15 pm
- RWL - Zoom appointment with a tutor or English instructor at various times from 9 am to 8 pm
- Online Writing Center (submit your work and receive a written response from a tutor)
Follow these instructions to access the Canvas RWL/OWC page:
- Click on the FALL 2023 RWL/OWC Canvas page link or follow the instructions below:
- Log into Canvas from the MyCOM portal.
- Click the Student Support icon on the main navigation menu OR click on the COM Online Tutoring/Labs link in the course navigation bar in the left-hand column within your course.
- Click the Reading/Writing Lab & OWC link.
- Click the Enroll in course button.
- You will now have the RWL/OWC course in Canvas on your dashboard. You can find all guidelines and instructions for accessing tutoring on this Canvas page. For your convenience, the instructions are also listed below.
To schedule a Zoom RWL appointment:
- On the Canvas RWL/OWC page (or on your MyCOM portal), click on the “RWL Appointments” button.
- Click on “Make Appointment.” Select the date and times that work for you and click on “Find Appointments.”
- Select a day and time for your appointment.
- On the next page, confirm your e-mail address. Click “Continue.”
- Once scheduled, you and the instructor will receive a confirmation email with a Zoom link.
- At the time of the appointment, join the online meeting via the Zoom link.
- The instructor may ask you to share your screen with your draft or e-mail your draft.
- Please cancel the appointment if you are unable to attend. You can cancel the appointment on the first “RWL Appointments” page (see step 1).
To request tutoring assistance on the OWC:
The OWC is open 24/7 to help students with writing assignments for all subjects. Students can submit their rough draft and expect to receive feedback from a tutor within 36 hours.
- On the Canvas RWL/OWC page, click on “OWC Tutoring Request.”
- Review the OWC Tutoring Student Guidelines.
- Click on Submit OWC Tutoring Request. You will be directed to a form to complete on the COM website (You may be required to re-enter your MyCOM login information.)
- If submitting a paper, upload a Word document at the end of the form. Be sure to click on “Upload” and then “Submit.”
- You will receive an email confirmation of your submission to the OWC service desk. The confirmation will go to your MyCOM email and it will be from the Service Desk.
Viewing your feedback from your tutor:
An English tutor will respond to your request within 36 hours. You can find your feedback by logging in to the Service Desk.
To do this:
- Log into MyCOM,
- Click on “Service Desk,” and
- Click on “Submit a Ticket.” You will then be able to view any tickets you have submitted.
- In addition, an email from the tutor will be sent to your MyCOM email address (NOT your Canvas mail). You can reply to the tutor directly from your MyCOM email.
- The tutor will close the ticket once he/she has responded to your request; if you have another question, please submit a new tutoring request.
Troubleshooting: If you do not receive an e-mail with your OWC feedback within 36 hours, you can find your feedback by logging in to the Service Desk (see #2 in the instructions above).
If you are still unable to access the tutor's feedback, or if you have other questions, please e-mail the RWL/OWC Coordinator, Beth Sheofsky, at email@example.com
Tutoring and Learning Support On-Campus
Tutoring and Learning Center
The Tutoring and Learning Center (TLC) at College of Marin offers free peer tutoring for currently enrolled students in a variety of subjects including biology, business, chemistry, foreign languages, medical assisting, math, and more! All tutors are faculty-recommended and have completed a course in tutor training.
There are several computer labs on Kentfield Campus and Indian Valley Campus for COM students to work on your academics, study, research, and write papers. Use this guide to find your way around the computer labs and Tutoring and Learning Center on campus.